Monday, February 1, 2016

So, just a little update

Just a picture from the plane on our descent into NH.

So, I know it's been a few days since I updated my blog, and to be honest I really have been trying. I wake up super early every morning, and I haven't gotten to sleep before 12:30 am since we got here. It's really starting to catch up with me. However, I have been having a great time here.

On Monday we spent the entire day at our campaigns. Me and the rest of the Bernie crew started out in Salem, New Hampshire at a small office with two field directors. They were pretty nice, but the office was slow. We went canvassing in a part of New Hampshire called Atkinson. The other 6 members of the group paired off, and I went with a nice volunteer from the community named Mitch. Since Mitch has a car, we were assigned one of the most spread out turfs in their region. In total, the canvass took about 3 hours and 30 minutes. Mitch insisted that we split up in order to cover more ground, so I was able to walk around the neighborhood by myself. After the canvass was done, we made our way back to the office where we proceeded to phone bank until the end of the shift.

Phone banking was incredibly stressful- a lot of the first few people yelled at me, which was really uncomfortable, but I was eventually able to get the hang of it.

After our first shift we went to dinner to watch the results of the Iowa caucus. It was really fun to watch, but I was a little upset by how the election was decided. I just didn't understand why they used coin flips to decide the election. The picture below sums up my feelings on the Iowa caucus.




No comments:

Post a Comment